- Cake Flour- 3 cups
- Baking powder- ½ tsp
- Fine salt- ½ tsp
- Butter -1 stick
- Sugar -3 cups
- Eggs- 3-4 eggs
- Vanilla extract- 1tsp
- Almond Extract (optional)
- Milk- 3 cups give or take (can substitute for Almond Milk, it gives the same taste J)
For icing – Powdered Sugar, Milk, Vanilla extract, whipped cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine Wet ingredients (eggs, butter, salt, & sugar) in mixer and mix slowly. Once fully mixed, slowly begin to add in cake flour, baking powder and milk alternatively. Mix slow to ensure that there are no lumps. Lastly add in your vanilla extract. (for more of a spice cake, add cinnamon and nutmeg)
- Use a stick of softened butter to coat pan and then shake a little flour on top of the butter to ensure a golden, but not burnt, cake. After pouring your cake mix into your cake pan (I prefer a Bundt), bake for 1hr with a pan of water under the cake for any potential spilling. Nothing smells worse than burnt cake mix.
- You’ll know the cake is done once you stick a toothpick in and it comes out spotless! The baking time varies depending on your oven. Take it out of the Bundt pan immediately to stop the outside from cooking and let it cool. My trick is placing a cold towel on the pan to cool it slightly and the cake usually slides right out perfectly!
Now onto the icing
Mix the powdered sugar, milk, whipped cream cheese and vanilla extract. It should be a slime like consistency. I also put mine in the fridge while I let the cake cool. Once the cake is cool, drizzle on icing and anything else you wish, such as chopped nuts, chocolate chips, sprinkles or lemon zest.